Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 14 January 2014

Our first "big" break.

Let me tell you about the last 24 hours and a bit...

Monday, enough already I hear you say but it gets better. A normal day by any accounts until about 3.45pm when I collect Kiki and Shiny from school. Kiki gets into the car and shows me his right index finger, it's blue and very swollen, I say "ouch, how'd that happen?" He proceeds to tell me that during PE in the last hour of the day, a netball bounced onto his finger. I say "Okay is it sore?" He says "no". So I start driving home, I look down to change gear and his hand is sitting on his lap, I say "S$%t, that doesn't look right!" So I turn the car around and head back into Petersfield because they have a minor injuries department at the hospital.
We arrive at the hospital and they have a triage system going, so we fill in the form and see a nurse, she draws a picture, takes all the info and straps his finger up giving me a form that I need to take to a doctor next door for an x-ray referral. No problem so we wait, we get the form and head back into the hospital to the radiography department. It's closed about 4.30pm.
Kiki is still not in any pain so we'll come back tomorrow.
Tuesday, the ice on the car is about as thick as a pound coin, so the day starts with me putting in some major PT as I try to scrape the ice off the windscreen and side windows, then an uneventful drive to drop Shiny at school and on to the hospital, we get there at 8.37am (I have the car park ticket to prove it). Radiography doesn't open till 9am so we wait, eventually Kiki is taken in and x-rayed and we wait.
Did you know that x-rays are digital (how modern), we head back to minor injuries and we wait to see the doctor. He's a pretty cool bloke, tattoo, earing, he says "Hey mom, take a look at this." Clearly I am looking at Kiki's hand, looks OK to me, and then he clicks over to an image of the finger and it's broken. Damn!!! A teeny tiny break in the middle bone of finger just above the joint.
Our first broken bone!

In love and light ( and plaster and a sling:) )

No comments: