Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 16 December 2014

Tracey Brown 2014 Newsletter.

I have felt unable to write lately but took great pleasure in receiving Alf Wood's NZ Newsletter so here goes.

2014 started off rather slowly as we all waited impatiently for our much anticipated Disney World (Orlando Florida) holiday. In April and accompanied by Rob's mom, we spent two fabulous weeks at Disney's Port Orleans Resort. The package Rob purchased for us (with a very generous gift from his mom) included meals and snacks as well as park tickets to all the parks.

We enjoyed meals out at Disney themed restaurants and RIDES! RIDES! RIDES. We loved each and every park but kept returning time and again to Disney's Hollywood Studios. I learned that Kieran is an adrenalin junkie who insisted both Rob and I try many roller coasters and although once fearless I now have little appreciation for my mortality.

We waited in queues, queues and more queues but these were few and far between thanks to Rob's meticulous planning of everyday and his little blue itinerary book. My overall synopsis of our Disney Holiday is that IT WAS THE BEST HOLIDAY I HAVE EVER HAD and it was amazing to see Rob totally relaxed and enjoying being a kid with the rest of us.

July Was another very busy month with Cheyenne dancing in the PAD dance extravaganza, a visit by Rob's dad which left me without a husband and the kids without a father for almost a week as Father and Son spent good quality time travelling throughout the South of England. It was lovely to see Ian again after so long. I know Rob thoroughly enjoyed having his dad here.

August saw the kids and I off to Lyme Regis (besides Disney World) my all time favourite place and where I would like to retire one day. It was also a place my Mom enjoyed and I have fond memories of trying to hold onto her wheelchair as we descended the very steep hill towards the beach. We could at least see the funny of what could possibly happen if I accidently let go!! Let's just say laughs all around.

September started with a wave of activity as Kieran entered his final year of junior school and Shiny hot on his hills. October saw us visiting Bohunt our local secondary school and completing an application for his admittance next year.

Until the 2nd of November, bar a few personal clashes, 2014 was looking to be the best year of my entire life and then I got a call on Sunday evening 2nd November. Jaime called me to say my mom had had a funny turn and they thought she was gone. Early on the 3rd of November 2014 we were told that the emergency doctor had pronounced her dead.

Thanks again to the generosity of Rob's mom I was able to fly back to SA. I arrived to find my big brother and Marilyn at the airport to fetch me. My amazing niece had taken my dad and sister to arrange mom's funeral, the eats had been sorted thanks to Avie and Kelly and although under such sad circumstances, spending time with my brother Ryan, Dad, Lolly, Jaime, Nash, Jordyn and Maya was fabulous. I was also very strongly reminded how important family is and how the blood that runs through our veins should mean more than anything else. Alas some other's don't!

Mom's funeral was well attended and it drove home to me that although unwell and unable to move around much, Mom was a loyal and trustworthy friend and many of them arrived to "share in her journey to the spirit in the sky"

I felt extremely blessed that my two best friends from High School both made an effort to come and pay their respects, they both remembered her fondly and although we had not seen each other for over 30 years we were able to pick-up as though no time at all had passed.

My mother loved Christmas it was her all time favourite time of the year, and even though I haven't spent Christmas with MY family in 8 years, I knew that on Christmas Day I could get hold of the whole family with one call/ Skype because they would all be with mom. This year we will all be feeling the magnitude of her loss. We will all be celebrating Christmas knowing that nothing and no-one can fill the gaping hole our wonderful wife, mother and Nana has left within us.

So on that rather dreary note (allowed to wallow in self pity every now and then I think), allow me to extend Season's Greetings and Very Happy Holidays to you and your families with the very best of wishes for a 2015 full of family, friends and all the good things money can't buy.

In Love and Light
Tracey (Please enjoy some photos of our Disney experience)























 

1 comment:

Alf said...

Tracey, such a beautiful newsletter, thank you. Brought tears to my eyes.
Have a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful 2015. Lots and Lots of love from all the Woods.
xxxxxxxx